Sunday, October 10, 2010

Interview With Kevin Roodhorst

Interview With Kevin Roodhorst: "

Kevin Roodhorst is only 19 years old yet he has been featured in multiple top Photoshop magazines. His style is simple, yet effective and he believes it is a signature of sorts. In our interview Kevin gives us his very interesting perspective on going to school for design, on top of that he talks about some important lessons he has learned throughout his career. So lets get into another great interview with a talented artist.




Q Welcome to Psdtuts+, please introduce yourself. Could you tell us where you’re from and how you got started in the field?



I started to work with Adobe software when I was 15 years old. What I did most of the time was follow tutorials on the Internet and check out other designers. I started with making some CD covers and posted them online on some websites, where I received a lot of positive reactions. At the age of 17, I got my first paying assignment, a poster for a kick-boxing competition.


Now I’m 19 years old and I’ve worked for 22 different nightclubs. Flyers, posters and banners etc. I’m featured in three Design Magazines: Advanced Photoshop, Digital Arts, Publish and in September my 4th Feature in Computer Arts Magazine. I also took part in creating labels for tobacco and drink companies.




Q Can you tell us about your first Photoshop experience and how much you have evolved since then? What is the most important lesson you have learned?



You have to believe in yourself to achieve what you want. Compliments and feedback are really helpful and it always gives you the motivation to go on.




Q Most of your illustrations feature a center piece that you decorate with some interesting techniques. Why do you choose to use this specific style constantly instead of bringing some variety to your art?



I want people to recognize my art, and say: that’s made by Kevin Roodhorst. I also work in the center because it gives you a lot of possibilities and most of the time it has a amazing composition. When I make a new creation I want it to be little bit different then the last one. Like adding different color and lightning effects.




Q You have been featured in several popular Photoshop publications like Advanced Photoshop Magazine. What would your advice be to other designers who hope to get some of their work published?



Social networking is one the most important things for a graphic designer. Get in touch with some websites like DeviantArt, Behance, Designflavr, Fromupnorth and post your artwork. Ask for advice from other designers and appreciate the work of others.




Q Some designers choose to be “self taught” and not attend a University, but you did the opposite and are now studying Graphic Design. In your opinion why is going to school better than just teaching yourself?



All the things I’ve learned so far I’ve learned myself, I’m following an education because most of the advertising agencies or other companies want a Diploma. At School, I’m not gaining much experience, only the social part, like working with other students.




Q “Imagination” is an astounding illustration that features a fierce tiger surrounded by some unique decorative light effects. Please tell us a little about this piece and how you made it.



The idea behind it is someone who reads an adventure book and he/she is imagining the part where the tiger shows up. So what I tried to do was to get the tiger out of the book in a magical way. Around the tiger I’ve added several light and grunge looking effects, that makes it real and it gives the illustration more unity.




Q All designers have a few favorite websites where they grab their stocks and textures, so what are yours?



My favorite website for stock photos is SXC, and sometimes I photograph things myself, that’s another hobby I love doing a lot. Like in my piece “The secrets of Egypt” I went to Egypt to get nice shots of the statues and other Arabic stuff.




Q Thanks again for providing Psdtuts+ with this opportunity to interview you. Any final thoughts for our readers?



Follow your dreams, Believe in yourself, Stay motivated, and Focus on what you want most.





Where to find Kevin on the Web





"

No comments: